Occasional Contributor
elona

Move Hightail main folder ?

Hi.

Nice with all this new stuff but i do have a question i feel is high issue for me anyway.

The Hightail main folder when installing Hightail is in ~user/username and i hate that.

I want to have my main folders on a external drive like i have with my Dropbox folders.

How is that possible with Hightail. Don't tell me you didn't think of that :smileysad:

Hope to get an answer soon.

Thanks again.

ES

Occasional Contributor
elona

Re: Move Hightail main folder ?

[ Edited ]

xactly like this person here says

http://learn.hightail.com/t5/Ideas/Updated-Desktop-Sync-App/idi-p/50414

I will personally not be using this new Hightail app before that feature is included.

Employee
Kelly

Hi Elona,

Thanks for the post, and for your suggestion. We have gotten a few of these and our Desktop Product Management team is definitely taking this into consideration for a future release. Be sure to rate that idea post, as the higher the ratings, the better visibility the suggestion has. 

Thanks again, keep those ideas comin'!

~Kelly
Community Manager at Hightail

Occasional Contributor
alvester

[ Edited ]

I'm having the same issue too with Hightail. All of my other file storage/sharing programs like Dropbox, Google Drive, and SkyDrive offer the ability to move their default folder locations to a custom location (in my case on a second drive) which I've done on on my desktop and one of my laptops that has two internal drives for extra storage. My System drive is merely a 238 GB Solid State Drive so it really rules it out for serious storage and thus the need for a second mechanical drive in my line of work. 

I hope this issue with the desktop app is rectified soon as I found the old YouSendIt service very handy until the likes of Dropbox came along. A business associate sent me some large high resolution music files via Hightail (which I hadn't used in a long time) recently from a record date I was on. This prompted me to install the desktop program in hopes of getting client-side storage and customizing the Hightail folder's location on my machines. After doing so I noticed the limitation of Hightail compared to the other major file sharing/cloud storage services.

I just subscribed to this post and look forward to Hightail adding the option to move the main folder. As relatively small Solid State Drives are becoming more common without the ability to customize the Hightail main folder your service is less of a viable option for those receiving and storing large files.

In the meantime I'm happy that there is at least an offline desktop storage option so that I can just gather the files and move them over to my Dropbox folder storage on my secondary drives. 

Employee
Kelly

Hi Alvester,

Thanks for the post. Did you know we have an Ideas section of our Community that allows you to post suggestions such as this, where others can rate your post on a 5-star scale? The higher the ratings your post receives, the better visibility it has. Here is a post from another user who already requested this feature: http://learn.hightail.com/t5/Ideas/Choose-which-drive-to-sync-to/idi-p/53088. Be sure to visit and rate it 5-stars!

Thanks Alvester,

~Kelly
Community Manager at Hightail

Occasional Contributor
jasonwong

Hi Kelly

I would like to repeat the request (like so many other subscribers) that HighTail implement the ability to move the main folder to another drive other than my C: drive.

I am unsubscribing and moving to Dropbox soon unless Hightail can implement this solution because my SSD is out of space.

"Coming Soon" is vague. Do you have an ETA for the change?

I would rather stay with Hightail but feel forced to look elsewhere soon

Thank you

Jason

Community Manager
Randy

Hello @jasonwong ,

Unfortunately, the Hightail Desktop sync app can only be located on the C: drive.  We are making changes to change the location of it, but there is no ETA as to when this change will take place.  If you want to free space up on your harddrive, you can always do a "selective sync."  For further information about doing a selective sync, please refer to this article-

Desktop App Selective Sync

Hope this helps!

Happy Holidays!

Randy
Hightail Customer Support

Ticketing Agent
oifabio

We can understand you have no ETA, but this function has been asked so many times and for more than 2 years. And the answer of the support team is still the same...

All the best,

Fábio.

Occasional Contributor
supportstat

We have an enterprise account and still waiting for this feature.

This is just pathetic that we are using our personal clouds to sync our hightail folders.

Flight Attendant
David_R

Hightail's response to this suggestion is a joke; I and others have been asking for this feature since maybe 2010, and in all that time every response from YSI/Hightail has been "wow, interesting suggestion, we'll take that into account in a future release."

Yeah, right, when pigs fly;

Ticketing Agent
chriscourch1011

We subscribed for enterprise level and 90 users.  Auditor almost set fire to our building when we discussed local storage only for hightail.  So we are in limbo, all paid up and not rolled out.

We need to be able to target server shares to house whatever data a user might throw at it.  This also allows for us to leverage file deduplication methods to keep it all under control.

Something like:

hightailinstall.exe /location=\\server\share\%username%\hightail

Please advise when this feature will be available.

Regards,

Chris

Occasional Contributor
mburke0911

hello,

First, let me say it is completely rediculous that this hasn't been resolved.

However there is a work around:

Create a symbolic link from C:\Users\%username%\Hightail to where you want the fold to actually live.  The process is annoying but it does work.  I did this successfully after I had already installed hightail desktop software and had data in the folder which was being synced with the Cloud. Here is what i did:

1. Create a new "HighTail" Direcory location someplace else (I used I:\HighTail as my location)

2. Copy all data in the existing C:\Users\%username%\Hightail directory to the new location

3. Shut down hightail from the task tray

4. open filemanger and drag the C:\Users\%username%\Hightail directory to the recycle bin.  A note here you cannot simply use filemanger todelete the directory.  It won't work.  Dragging to the desktop recycle bin did (I didn't try with the command line so that might work as well.

5. open the command prompt with "run as administrator" from the start menu  (you have to do this as an admin)

6. navigate to C:\Users\%username%\ by using cd C:\Users\%username%\ 

7. type

mklink /D c:\users\%username%\Hightail I:\HighTail                            

Note: %username% is the name of the user you are trying to do this for if you get an error about

"hightail" already existing you didn't delete it as above.

The response should be: "symbolic link created for c:\users\%username%\Hightail <<===>> I:\HighTail"

8: reopen the hightail desktop by clicking on the desktop icon.  You should see the files which were there before.

9.  If you want the icons to be the original you have to manually change them in explorer.

This worked for me and I was able to add files to this new location have them sync with the Cloud.  One note however is if you go to the location directly using filemanager you will not see the sync designation icons that you can see when you open the hightail desktop folder however they files do exist if you drag them directly and then refresh the hightail desktop folder view.  Also the previous version options works as well but ONLY from the hightail desktop tool, not from windows explorer. 

I assume that if this works there should be a way using GPOs to automate this process and redirec to a network share or mapped drive location.

Hope it helps.

M

Occasional Contributor
weaved

So Kelly, more than a year later your development team is still working on this issue?

It's not that complicated. Hire me and I could do it for you.

Occasional Contributor
weaved

[ Edited ]

Randy: B.S.

That is an easy fix from a developers standpoint.

Your management probably doesn't want it for a reason that is not in the user's best interest.